Go where it takes you.
Be who it makes you.
Forget New Year’s Resolutions. Scrap that long list of goals you won’t remember a few weeks from now anyway!
Choose just one word.
One word you can focus on every day, all year long… One word that sums up who you want to be or how you want to live.
It will take intentionality and commitment, but if you let it, your one word will shape not only your year, but also you. It will become the compass that directs your decisions and guides your steps.
Discover the big impact one word can make.
One word. 365 days. A changed life.
Choose your word for 2018 and sign up.
It’s that simple.
One Word 365 is more than a new way to approach resolutions. It’s a global tribe committed to journeying together and living intentionally.
You can connect with others who have chosen the same word or live in your area. Together, we can inspire and challenge each other to live purposefully all year long.
Maybe a word has already risen to the surface for 2018… Or perhaps you have a list of possibilities but aren’t sure which to choose. Maybe you’re struggling with where to begin… Or you might not have even thought about it at all yet…
Focus on being rather than doing.
Different than resolutions, your one word isn’t a constant reminder of what you “should be doing”. Instead, it stands to inspire how you want to live. Think about who you want to be, and choose a word that will help you become that.
Your word should reflect YOU, and no one else. It’s easy to listen to others’ words and then pick one that sounds good. But you want a word that’s uniquely yours… one that resonates with you on a deep level.
Don’t overthink it.
It’s not rocket science, and there’s no wrong answer. Don’t analyze it to death! It’s simply about identifying the word that keeps coming back to nag at your heart. Keep an open mind and heart, and pay attention to the word that you see, hear, and recognize the most in the coming days…
1. Spend some time imagining what you want your life to look like. What kind of person do you really want to be at the end of 2018? What do you want the condition of your heart and your relationships to be? Write out the mental picture you imagine.
2. Write down the characteristics of that person you want to become. Describe him. What’s her heart like? What character traits does he have? What drives her? What are his best qualities?
3. Make a list of words that sum up that description or that conjure up an image of that vision you started with. It can include nouns (such as peace or joy), adjectives (like thoughtful or brave), verbs (like create or pause) or even prepositions (like with or in).
4. Then whittle your list down to the few words that resonate most with you. Take some time to look them up in the dictionary, thesaurus, inspirational quotes, or the Bible. Really dive into the true meaning of each word.
5. Turn them over and over in your heart and mind. Give yourself time to mull over your short list. Try them on—get a sense of what it would be like to intentionally pursue them.
6. Take a deep breath and commit. Just go ahead and decide. Remember that there’s no right or wrong answer here. Simply follow the prompting you sense.